Jul 28, 2013

Facetiousness

I wrote this for one of my projects for my creative writing class.  I had writer's block for most of the day... but pulled it out in the end...  and--grateful for a little help from my friends!!!!


Facetiousness



With a summons in hand
the flood appeared in a fit of piss and rage.

It found me in my bottom floor flat,
following the map I drew in my prayers last night.

With the force of a million hands,
the flood pushed this and grabbed that.
It lunged –
reaching for my neck
wringing like a scolding mother
in a climactic scene.

Its breath smelled like a garden after a gentle rain--
My body went limp as half a million hands
held my waist in a lover’s embrace.

The other half million
shoved my shit around like boys in a locker room--
like “Brick the Bully,” that roaring flood of torment
who, every damn day at recess,
reminded me how far I was from any safe harbor.

Giving the flood my last breath,
I rolled over and hit the snooze button.

Uncertainty always has gotten the best of me.