Jun 10, 2013

Estrangement


Why do you turn on me your gaze–
now that in your arms to my rival lays?
I am astound that after all that deceit–
you wait for those times to repeat!

I have seen it with my own eyes, Oh God,
That you raised your glass amidst the crowd!
When you opened Hafez to tell your fortune–
another name came for you in the light of the moon.

Go now to her and mind not my heart, goodbye!
You are the sun, she is the Earth and I am the sky.
Shine on her, on her as I am sitting down, afar–
I travel alone on the shoulders of a falling star!

Shine, shine on her as I stand up and my heart–
cries for her, for her fate, pain and plight!
To let you go is true love’s decree–
She has your arms, you heart remains with me!

You, you who took me away behind the curtain–
How come didn’t you reach to my secret garden?
I let go of you and the warmth of your arms–
I was never after the flesh and its charm!

If I ran to you so eager and fervent–
a unison with Love, was all that I meant!
And not your embrace to light my darken night–
the dream of Love shines so brighter than your sight!

Now that you are sitting next to her, my rival–
Let me cheer to your union, not plotting a reprisal!
Our tale is gone lost and its dusts are to shove–
stay with her and her undying love!


Forough Farrokhzad (1935 – 1967)
Translation: Maryam Dilmaghani, June 2013, Halifax.